6.15.2011

High Line Section 2 Opening (Part 1)

Last week I was invited to join Friends of the High Line for the opening of their much-awaited Section 2. June did not disappoint, with temperatures in the 80's and lots of blue sky keeping things festive! The usual suspects attended: Mayor Bloomberg, architects Diller Scofidio + Renfo and James Corner Field Operations, and donors Diane von Furstenberg, Barry Diller, Ed Norton, and the Falcones--all long-time generous supporters of the High Line. Sadly, no Mario Batali this time around. As is becoming a tradition for me, here's a mashup of photographs from the event.

Click to enlarge.

It was a unique event, very casual and cozy, nestled amongst the buildings of Chelsea. Organized Chaos, a step team from Brooklyn Technical High School got the crowd moving and introduced Mayor Mike to start things off. They were pretty amazing and the stepping sounded fantastic on the wood benches of the lawn.

Some of the other highlights for me were seeing some of the other photographers who have worked with the High Line over the years (you know who you are) and loading up on popsicles from Chef Fany Gerson of La Newyorkina to beat the warm weather and hot sun. Yum--I can personally attest to the deliciousness of her watermelon, horchada, and hibiscus pops.

I'll probably post some more images from this event in upcoming installments, as I shot with 3 cameras (Nikon, Iphone, and Polaroid--which always keeps me on my toes). The above are from the Iphone.

If you're into the High Line, click here to see some of my "I built the High Line" portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment