From the moment he created his community, Milton S. Hershey planned to build a park to create a more pleasant environment for workers and residents than any typical factory town of the time.
In 1903, even though Hershey's Mennonite mother thought his idea was frivolous, he proceeded to survey a site along Spring Creek suitable for his park. On April 24, 1907, Hershey Park opened with a baseball game played on the new athletic field as Mr. Hershey and his wife, Catherine, watched from the grandstand.
Hershey Park's original appeal was its simplicity. An ideal spot for picnicking, boating, and canoeing, the Park was landscaped with graceful trees and wooded groves that provided a shady retreat for thousands of people without being crowded. The original main buildings, a rustic bandstand and pavilion, served as a stage for vaudeville and theatre productions.
Timothy Schenck is a New York City-based photographer shooting a little bit of everything. He does not enjoy talking about himself in the third person.
(All photos by Timothy Schenck unless noted otherwise. If you wish to inquire about usage (and that means for any and all usage, including reblogging) of images on this blog, please contact him via his website.)