5.16.2011

I Built the High Line: Impromptu Portraits (Part 1)

Last week I went up to shoot progress on Section 2 of the High Line and was surprised to see the thing is almost wrapped up with a bow and ready to go! Warm sunny weather certainly makes the days go by and the work fly.

The prospect of seeing this second section finished is exciting and bittersweet. It will certainly be gratifying to see all the past few years' work open to the public. I'll say it again as I've said it before--people will love Section 2 just as they love Section 1. The Thicket, the Lawn and Seating Steps, the Flyover, and the Wildflower Field all promise another healthy helping of High Line magic. You'll see in about a month.

My excitement is tempered with a bit of sadness about this bit of the construction and my documenting of it being very shortly complete. I'll miss having the lone lens up on the line and the warm feeling of having this special place to myself. I'll also miss seeing all the friendly faces of those who built this wonderful new section of park. I can return and walk Section 2 any time I want, but I may not see any of the workers again. With that in mind, I thought it would be fitting to once again showcase those who built the High Line--here's a portrait of each of the folks I encountered while walking the line this past Friday.









Part 2 to follow on Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment